Friday, July 10, 2009

The Start

I've always enjoyed food, since i was a boy, sushi was my poison even though i hated fish.

25 years has past and my palate has definitely changed.

10 years ago whenever i come back to Jakarta for holiday, i would revel by the really cheap restaurants options we have here compared to either Singapore or Australia which usually is at least 50% more. Sushi sets costs a mere 100rp, compared to in Singapore which would cost at least 200rp

Of course, ever since I've been mad crazy cooking for myself almost everyday in Australia to save costs and to relieve some stress, my outlook on food has changed.

I would only order food that i cannot make easily myself at home e.g. meepok (the amount of time, preparation and effort just to make one bowl is RIDICULOUS!!).

The big breakfast, i believe is the most expensive thing on the menu, the skill required to make this dish is to own a big pan and buy fresh ingredients! But the amount of people who order it in Australia dumbfounds me. Which brings me to my other point on breakfasts in Melbourne, i think its a complete waste of money to spend $16 on french toasts, topped with orange glaze and pistachio mascarpone. And i detest the fact that i have to spent a fortune just to eat something i could make at home. But i have to say, the ingredients they use is not something we can easily find in the supermarket, so although the skill requirement is low, the ingredients scores a high point.

Anyway enough talk on the introduction.

This blog is about the journey me and my family have when eating out in Indonesia. I call my family snobby eaters cause we complain too much about the food and almost never enjoy our food. I always ask my family, when was the last time we enjoyed our meal?

The answer always leaves a moment of silence thinking about that last meal, usually too far a distance, that was truly and thoroughly enjoyable .

No comments:

Post a Comment